Chasing Kanji - 感情を追って

An American's travel traumas
アメリカ人の旅行の外傷

Holy Humidity Batman  

I am writing to you from 14 hours in the future. And the future is humid. To get to this legendary place, you must first board a delayed plane, sit in an international-hub airport for 3 hours, board another plane, wait on the tarmac for an hour, then fly for 16 hours to arrive in the future. Once you get here, you'll become illiterate and resort to basic gestures and perhaps a little grunting as a means of communication. You may be disoriented, groggy, and/or dehydrated. And, you'll definitely have big frizzy hair.

I'm talking about Hong Kong of course. The flights themselves were uneventful, which is excellent since I spent 18-19 hours in the air. I haven't been here long, but I like it already. The city feels very alive with a plethora of shops, bars, restaurants, cafes, and convenience stores. I could do without the constant advice on what to eat and stories of how Westerners usually react to traditional Chinese food. But I think everyone gets a kick out of sharing these tips, so I let them.

I woke up to a foggy foggy day, and I knew it was going to be temperate, but I didn't imagine the humidity level. I put a receipt on the kitchen table and woke up to a fully curled piece of paper. Had I bought a brochure, I'm almost certain it wouldn't have been mentioned. And thus it is my duty to warn you. Don't straighten your hair in Hong Kong. It won't matter 5 minutes later.

I'll get back to you soon with stuff that I have actually done. For now, I'll leave you with a couple of photos.


This one is looking down from the 27th floor where I am to the street below.This one is Hong Kong on a foggy morning.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 comments

Post a Comment