Chasing Kanji - 感情を追って

An American's travel traumas
アメリカ人の旅行の外傷

The Chicken and Crab Form Unity  

In Hong Kong, I arrange my mornings so that I have plenty of time to wake up, eat breakfast, work out, shower, and channel surf. I have found there are three mostly-English stations. One is the news channel Aljazeera; another is a re-broadcast of American nightly news programs; and the third is a Gaming program.

I haven't figured out the point to the Gaming program. When I flip past in the morning, it is always three hosts dressed in futuristic looking grey and red uniforms talking about games that are being played live, as far as I can tell. The game they comment on is a virtual capture the flag. I suppose it's like Call of Duty, but without the back story, changing maps, diverse weapons, and modern graphics. This capture the flag game consists of a red and a blue team that run around (read, hop around) with plasma blasters trying to steal the other teams flag. I doubt very seriously that this would be an interesting game to play; and I can't really understand why it's on everyday. Maybe it's just filling air space.

But that doesn't beat the local programming. I came across a gem involving food presentation and a beauty pageant. It was poorly dubbed in English, which made it even harder to stop looking at the train wreck. There were 20 beauty contestants all dressed up in glittery bikinis. There was an audience of men, who I can only imagine were going to vote on the winner - although I didn't stick around that long to find out. The portion I watched was some sort of food presentation challenge. The beauty contestants were given a theme and they had to arrange a dish and explain their logic.

The girl I saw had the theme "Chaos and Organization." She said of her dish, and I roughly quote from the poorly dubbed English, "My dish is chicken and crab. These things - tee hee hee - do not go together at all. Uhm. But, I think that the chicken and crab work very well together here, and - like the 20 contestants - bring unity to each other. And, tee hee hee, I hope that the 20 contestants here can be like the chicken and the crab and work together to bring unity even though we are very different."

I watched with mouth agape. Then flipped back to the news.

In other food news, there's a BLT Steak restaurant here. Christopher and I have wanted to try a Gordon Ramsey-owned restaurant, so I won't be trying it. Of course, we have to go together! But it was neat to see it, and the menu looked good from what I saw outside the restaurant.

I'm trying to take photos of what I eat while I'm here, and I'll put those together later for your viewing pleasure.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 comments

Post a Comment