Chasing Kanji - 感情を追って

An American's travel traumas
アメリカ人の旅行の外傷

You put the lime in the coconut  

It's been a rough week at work. A few things are going on in management, it seems, that may not be popular. I have been under the weather, staying home from work on Wednesday, and not feeling like I am getting as many things done as I'd like. Home life, on the other hand has been fan-tas-tic (still sick, but at least Christopher has been taking care of me). If you haven't read the previous two posts. I invite you to do so; you may become a little spiteful of our good fortune. But that's ok, because I know the Locavore Chef, and I can get you her number.

Tonight's meal, just like Monday and Tuesday's, was written clearly on our notes posted on the fridge. Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas.



Man, doesn't that look mouth watering? All I had to do was warm it up in the oven. Melanie had made this dish using roasted dark meat chicken (which she seasoned and roasted), corn tortillas, beans, and green chili sauce (I wasn't there when she made it, not sure what's in it - but it's awesome). There's also some cheese going on, as you can see from the melted goodness on top.

To the right/above the enchiladas, is a big bowl of spinach salad with buttermilk chive dressing (homemade fresh by the one and only Locavore Chef). I added some chives to the bowl just for fun. Also, we have some leftover green onions in the fridge, and I hate to see a good green onion go to waste. This was supposed to be the arugula salad. But, if you read yesterday's post, you know that we accidentally already ate that one. oops!



Here's what it looks like on my plate. Yes, I agree, I might need a bigger plate. :) We added some lime juice over the enchiladas per Melanie's instructions. The first bite was heavenly. We both commented how we'd order this dish in a heartbeat were it on a restaurant menu. The whole cilantro-chicken-lime-corn-tortilla-little-slice-of-heaven-on-a-fork just really worked. Overall, I hesitate to call this dish "enchiladas," although that was Melanie's title, so I'll stay true to the chef. I'd call it closer to a casserole or lasagna based on the layers and that the tortillas were laid flat instead of rolled. It's definitely a modern take on the traditional enchilada, and it's an update that gets four thumbs up from the Watsons.

I'm excited, because there were leftovers. That means I get to have another taste tomorrow at lunch! Oh - and there was no coconut in this dinner whatsoever. Since we did have lime, I had the song stuck in my head.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 comments

Post a Comment