Chasing Kanji - 感情を追って

An American's travel traumas
アメリカ人の旅行の外傷

Death by 56 Tiny Needles  

As a kid, I do not remember ever having any serious allergy issues of any kind. My parents learned when I was 2 (an age that I do not remember whatsoever) that I am allergic to cedar. Later, I learned that I was allergic to red ants (who isn't) after being stung a couple times. (Or is it bitten?) From that point on, I pretty much just stayed away from Christmas tree farms, cedar chests, and ant hills. Thankfully, I've never had to deal with a food allergy, nor have I had any major run ins with zombie cedar trees trying to attack me.

My life remained pretty allergy free until adulthood. I'm not really sure what it is about allergens that allows them to seemingly randomly wax and wane over time. I'm not mad at the trees. But, when you haven't had to deal with allergies most of your life and then you do, well that's no fun.

So, having moved back to Texas this last time, I've found that Spring is lets-line-the-pockets-of-the-Kleenex-corp time. It's also the time I get sick if it's going to happen. I got sick in Spring 2009, 2010, and I just recently go over being sick this year. My thinking is the pollens start doing their thing, my body starts acting up, and thus I am more susceptible to a cold or whatever. I have no medical degree, but that makes sense to me.

I decided to finally become knowledgeable about what I am and am not allergic to. I made an appointment and stayed off any OTC allergy medicine for about two weeks so I could get a clear panel of tests. The staff did a full verbal medical history of any time that I remember having an allergic reaction to anything. Lucky for me, that list is not all that long. But I can imagine they would really spend a lot of time with you if you had a long, broad history of allergies. Once that was over, they decided what kind of panel they were going to do. For me, it was 56 different allergens including a control positive and control negative test.

Man, I was not expecting it to be quite as painful as it was. I guess it's like a mini-tattoo since they need to break the skin with the allergen soaked needle in order for the test to work. The nurse told me how important it was that I stay still and not move, but when she was sticking little needles onto my ribcage it was very hard to comply.

I guess I did an ok job of remaining still, because she was able to read the results just fine. There was one super itchy one on my right shoulder blade. I asked her which one that was because it was driving me nuts. She said, "oh, that one's cedar." Figures.

Anyway, I am happy I did it. I think it's really important to be informed about yourself, your health especially. I was also a little surprised by the results as I found out that I have no indoor allergies whatsoever aside from one species of mold. Outdoor allergies, on the other hand, are a different story. Spring trees are my worst (no thanks to you, cedar), but I also have winter trees, plus one species of summer grass that is very common to this area.

I was prescribed some allergy meds and given two sets of instructions. One set is for off-season where I feel fine. The other set is for Spring and/or any time my allergies seem to be kicking into high gear. I do feel much better having gone and gotten this information. I also like the doctor and staff at their office, so if I need to go again, I'll definitely see them.

All in all, if you've never been to an allergist but suffer from allergies, I recommend going to see one. The information alone was worth the co-pay.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 comments

Post a Comment