Chasing Kanji - 感情を追って

An American's travel traumas
アメリカ人の旅行の外傷

Patio Seating  

After over 30 minutes of discussing what to have for lunch while dilly dallying around the apartment, Christopher and I decided to take our indecision on the road. We summarily rejected all the usual places as we passed them and turned into a shopping center to see what was available. The first restaurant on the corner was Dodie's Cajun Diner.


We parked and took a look at the menu before deciding to go for it and take a seat. The weather this past week really can't be beat. We took advantage by sitting outside on their patio. After some deliberation Christopher ordered the shrimp combo and I ordered the "Toulouse pasta." My lunch came with a house salad. As far as salads go, I'd give this one a 3 out of 5. The lettuce was fresh but there were only two types (romaine and iceberg, it seemed anyway). It came with one slice of tomato, one salad pepper, and one pickled okra. I love all of those, so it was a pity to only get one of each. Also, the house dressing was a parmesan italian that was quite tasty; however, there was a bit too much of it. Tasty - but it could have been better.

My Toulouse pasta was very good. If we go back to this restaurant, I would order it again. It was corkscrew pasta noodles with a green onion and red pepper cream sauce. I'm not sure how much was on my plate; it seemed like a lot, and I had to ask for a take-home box at the end of the meal.

Christopher's shrimp was good as well, he said. It wasn't overcooked like shrimp can easily be. The tartar sauce was no good, because it was very thick compared to average tartar sauce and was overly mayonnaise-y. On the other hand, they had a "Dodie's Sauce" that was a decent replacement, basically Tabasco plus Louisiana sauces with blended pepper and garlic. And, his shrimp came with hush puppies (never a bad thing).

The prices were a bit high for what we like to pay for a Saturday lunch out. Because of that, we probably won't go to this restaurant again soon; however, I'm pretty sure we will go again at some point. I guess that means it's not a glowing review, but we did enjoy ourselves while trying out this new (to us) restaurant.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 comments

  • Unknown  
    April 11, 2010 at 4:07 AM

    Omg! There is a Dodie's in Rockwall we went to. I agree, the salad dressing is tasty. I think mine had a decent amount on the salad. Brandon was not impressed with his dinner. I think he got the crawfish etouffe. Which you'd think for a cajun restaurant they'd do it right, but he said it was horrible. I think I got some sort of mixed meat jambalaya. I thought it was good. But we're not likely to go again. We can get similar offerings that we think are just as tasty if not better at Razzoos. What was cute though is they served their beer in Mason jars lol.

    PS: hahaha, to make me laugh anymore about this post, I have to type the word "gater" in to prove I'm not a computer, which makes me think of gator, which is common in cajun restaurants. I'm stupid, sorry.

Post a Comment