Chasing Kanji - 感情を追って

An American's travel traumas
アメリカ人の旅行の外傷

Scarborough Faire 2010  

The tree man from Scarborough Faire 2009 has been occupying the right side of our home page for a while now. He's pretty cool - so I guess he deserves it. We decided to hit the road again this year down to Scarborough Faire with my brother-in-law, Christopher's brother, along for the ride.

Getting to Scarborough Faire was a breeze, perhaps there was some traffic getting out of town in the first place. But if there was, it wasn't bad enough for me to remember it now that I'm writing about it some weeks later.

Last year, we mostly people-watched and walked around the vendors' booths. So this year, we wanted to take in a few more shows and exhibitions. We started at the potter's place.
His set up was very cool, all foot powered and rustic.

From there we went to the glass blower's exhibition. He started out with a long thin string, which he turned into a very pretty pitcher with handle, which had clear glass with orange polka dots. He was a good speaker, too. Therefore, I think his presentation was even better since he was able to tell the audience exactly what he was doing and why as he was doing it.

I think from there, we may have gone to lunch - I can't remember the exact order. But sometime between the glass blower and the end of the day, we managed to see belly dancers, a bird of prey show (or part of it anyway), fencing games, and the rope trick/whip trick show. We also watched the mid-day parade, checked out the elephants, and browsed many of the stores. A very good day of family fun.

The day was made extra special when, while at the belly dancing show, the girls called up two men from the audience and one of them was Christopher. From that point on, he had the best seat in the house - on stage being fanned by one of the troupe members. They even made Christopher and the other audience member attempt to dance. Christopher's skills were much better than the other guy. However, neither of them has a career in belly dancing just yet. Maybe next year.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 comments

  • JMill  
    May 17, 2010 at 8:18 PM

    no pics of Christopher belly dancing? :) Next year, can I join? We used to go all the time in school, but I think I would enjoy it more now. Plus, this House episode got me really thinking that I didn't appreciate it enough. Oh, and no wax hand mold? That used to be what I'd buy my parents and bring home with me! :)

  • Unknown  
    May 17, 2010 at 10:35 PM

    First, to Jenn, you're funny. You brought your parents a was mold of your own hand as a gift? lol. I remember going but I don't remember that!

    Lexie, it sounded like so much fun! I just talked to our CT tech at work the other day and he talked about how he went in full body armor. I think maybe I told you...I told someone. It would be fun to go, but when talking to Brandon about it, he said he'd never had such an outbreak of allergies in his life than the time he went in like middle school lol.

Post a Comment