Chasing Kanji - 感情を追って

An American's travel traumas
アメリカ人の旅行の外傷

A Sushi Christmas  

It's about that time of year... the time for all to decorate their lawns, put up the lights, and brave the sales. In Japan, you may think that there are no celebrations of the kind, but you'd be wrong. In fact, it seems that the whole city is in celebration mode.

View exhibit A -- This is the side of a building lit up like a reindeer. I didn't notice it at first until Christopher pointed it out to me. And then I thought, how the heck did I not notice that?



To me, that's pretty detailed, but it gets better. Signs everywhere say Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. When you walk into department stores, they are playing Christmas carols. Not Japanese Christmas carols, but classic English ones like "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer" and "Silent Night" and "Jingle Bells." The main train station in the city has a light display on one side. View exhibit B -- This is the side of Nagoya Station. The picture doesn't show it, but Santa pops around the side of the building, in and out of windows and things.




So with all this Christmas cheer, is it really Christmas as usual? No, not really I have to admit. Most individual families don't celebrate, and it's impossible to find a turkey (much less roast one in an oven that I don't have!) or a honey-baked ham. Maybe next year I'll venture out and pick up a roast chicken from the Brasilian meat shop -- I've been told it's delicious. But this year, I imagine Christopher and I will just go down the street to our local take-out sushi place and grab some tekkamaki. Don't feel bad for me though, I was already visited by Santa!!!

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

3 comments

  • Anonymous  
    December 24, 2007 at 9:50 AM

    Merry Christmas. Nice observations, Ms Lexie. It is Christmas Eve here in sunny Connecticut. We just had a rain storm last night that decided it did not want to be an ice storm. But no White Christmas here in New England. Yes, Christmas is often thought of more as a date night than a family night. Kentucky Fried Chicken and Christmas Cake are the 2 things I remember most during my single days in Tokyo at Christmas time. Yoshi and I are leaving for Tokyo on Christmas morning. She is currently helping Santa's elves in the kitchen, concocting holiday cheer in the form of American-style cookies with 1/3 the sugar content of the recipes. I think she is overloading the baking with flour since the Japanese govt is expecting the price of flour to go up 30% soon. No oven, no flour, no Christmas cookies for Christopher and Lexie. Merry Christmas and we will continue to contribute to this really kakkoi blog. -Steve

  • bobwat13w  
    December 25, 2007 at 7:39 PM

    Merry Christmas, Lexie and Chris..It's 7:30p.m. on the 25th...hope you had a great day...thought about you guys all day, love you guys and miss you bunches...Dad

  • Anonymous  
    December 26, 2007 at 9:33 AM

    Hope you guys had a relaxing Xmas :) We slept in and D was playing Guitar Hero 3 most of the day. She is totally addicted to it(it was one of her xmas presents).

Post a Comment